Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Slim Medals and Garbage Heaps

Klang Quarter Marathon 2004 was organized by Majlis Perbandaran Klang on 1 August 2004. It started and ended at Padang Sultan Sulaiman, Klang.

I broke my own record. 56 mins. Can't believe it. I think everyone broke his or her record last Sunday in The Klang Quarter Marathon. Rumours had it that the course was actually 1 km short of a quarter marathon distance. But heck, I think I did my best. Not slowing down for the hills. Not slowing down when my legs shouted to stop. Not stopping to take pictures of "scenic" Klang. And finally, it is all worth it - I got a finisher medal. Even though it is thinner than digestive biscuit and slimmer than a Swatch Skin, I was ecstatic to receive it. By the way, I am still waiting for my Ipoh Marathon finisher medal. (Insert The Carpenter's Mr. Postman tune here).

Klang Quarter Marathon has to be the stinkiest of all runs. I remember we had to run pass some fish market last year and some garbage dumps. This year, even though they change the route, the stinky air still enveloped the first few km of the run. We passed by some kampongs where garbage heaps seemed like part of their landscaping plan. Thank God it was at the beginning of the run. I would have fainted gasping for air if this should happen at the last few Ks. This will be my memory of Klang run forever – Stinky route.

Met my uncle at the starting point. He confirmed that he would be going for Bangkok Marathon on 28 Nov. Asked me to join him and his Kuantan gang but I think I will pass. Not that I don’t like Bangkok, but I better save my money and energy to go for CD shopping in Singapore, er...I mean going for Singapore International Marathon – 5 Dec.

This time I do not have pictures to show, as I had to concentrate on running (for the first time ahaks..). 300 medals for grabs, and I went all out for it. I will be running with my camera again in the Ampang Jaya run on 15 August. No medal pressure this time and I will take my own sweet time to enjoy the "scenic" Ampang on foot. Hopefully Ampang Municiple is doing a much better job than Klang one in terms of garbage disposal.

Adidas King of The Road will be held on 5 Sept. I have already signed up. Look forward to received the Adidas blue T-shirt. It’s worth signing up, even just for the shirt.

No comments: