Sunday, February 14, 2021

CNY Temple-Hopping 12.88km Solo Run @ Kuala Lumpur


Chan She Shu Yuen Clan House (Chinatown) >> Kuan Ti Temple (Chinatown) >> Sin Sze Si Ya Temple (Chinatown) >>Bukit Ceylon Chinese Temple >> Kwan Yin Temple (Jalan Ampang) >> Kuan Yin Temple (Jalan Maharajalela)

The idea of the temple-hopping run came to me spontaneously. As I headed out for the Sunday morning run, I noticed that there were a few Chinese temples nearby the Four Points Kuala Lumpur Chinatown. Since it is Chinese New Year, why not visit some of the iconic Chinese temples around town? Due to MCO, most of the temples are closed to the public. So, I only get to view the beautiful temples from the outside.

I started my run from the hotel to Chan She Shu Yuan Clan Association Building, which is just a stone's throw away. Technically, it is not a temple even though it looks like one from the outside. It was build between 1899 and 1906. All the materials and craftsmen were imported from southern China which is where this clan originates. 


Kuan Ti (Guan Di) Temple is one of the oldest and most revered Taoist temple in Kuala Lumpur, located along Jalan Tun HS Lee in Chinatown. This temple is dedicated to Guan Di, the Taoist God of War and incepted in 1888.


Sin Sze Si Ya Temple is the oldest temple in Kuala Lumpur, built in 1864 by Kapitan Yap Ah Loy - a leader of the Chinese community of Kuala Lumpur, who was largely responsible for the development of Kuala Lumpur as a commercial and mining centre.


This temple pays tribute to the deities, Sin Sze Ya and Si Sze Ya.


Little is know about this temple, which is located in Bukit Ceylon. The temple seemed closed, so I hurried off to the next destination.
 

I remembered there was a beautiful small Chinese temple next to Dorsett Hotel Kuala Lumpur called the Hui Yuan Ting temple. I actually ran there and to my surprise, the temple was no longer there. It is now a flat piece of land waiting to be developed. Sigh!


From Bukit Bintang area, I ran to Jalan Tun Razak and then to Jalan Ampang where the next temple is located. Stopped for a couple of minutes in front of Wisma MCA to take photo of red lanterns and KLCC.
 

Visited this Guan Yin Temple at Jalan Ampang a few times for their amazing selection of vegetarian food. But it seemed that the doors were closed shut during MCO.  This temple as the name suggests, pays tribute to the Goddess of Mercy, Guan Yin, whose statue with 1000 arms and 1000 eyes is on display inside.


My last destination is another Guan Yin Temple which was built in 1880. It is located next to the Maharajalela Monorail station at Jalan Maharajalela, just a few meters away from the Chan She Shu Yuan Clan Association Building.  



It was an enjoyable run... hopping from temple to temple. 12.88km in total.

I actually wanted to visit the mother of all Chinese temples in Malaysia, the Thean Hou Temple, but the plan was abandoned as it was getting hot and I had to check out by 12pm. Furthermore, the road to that particular temple is quite hilly. Heheh! So, I better reserve my energy for it in another day..

No comments: