Thursday, September 02, 2004

Standard Chartered Marathons Here I Come

I have signed up for Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon on Merdeka Day. It will be my sophomore effort after my debut in KL Marathon 2004. This time I will be more prepared for it. My initial plan early in the year was to run 3 marathons this year and then take a bow. But then Penang International Bridge Run was cancelled without any notice. So I was left with two. I was tempted to run Ipoh Marathon but my instinct told me not to. True enough, Ipoh Marathon turn out to a disaster due to incompetent organizer. I am still waiting for my 21km finisher medal. Johor Marathon? I didn’t even want to consider running it. It turned out to be a bigger disaster than Ipoh. A marathon without water stations? Unthinkable.

My worst fear in a marathon is a bad organizer. It can really flush three months of training down the drain. I can’t imagine myself completing a marathon without a medal to show. I will not leave my passion in running in the hands of incompetent bumbling idiots like those of Ipoh and JB Marathon. So, I have been very careful in selecting my marathons, as there is no one else to blame if I ended up with a lousy marathon. Can’t blame the organizers cause I fill in the registration form willingly and even if I f*ck them left and right, top and bottom, do you think they care?

I am looking forward for the Singapore Marathon as I have missed it last year due to some unforeseen circumstances. Amelia and Boywonder gave rave reviews on how they enjoyed themselves during the run last year. Great organization. Wonderful cheers and support from public. Flat scenic route. Can’t wait to start my training regime again.

My uncle also asked me to join him for Bangkok International Marathon, which I declined. Why? It will be held week before the Singapore Marathon. I am passionate about I don’t want to run myself out. I might do Bangkok it next year if the review is favourable from my uncle.

Speaking of my running uncle, he has already preparing to Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon next year – 27 Feb 2005. He told me that it will be like a family vacation with my auntie and my cousins and will scout for cheap tickets during Matta Fair in Sept. My parents liked the idea of the family vacation too. I told him I would think about it. My heart is itching more than my feet to go for this marathon. The thoughts of running in HMV and other CD/VCD stores send my heart to a flutter.

I have written to HK Amateur Athletic Association for more details and the told me that more info will be available in Oct in the updated website. On-line registration is available. Better start saving now…

No comments: