Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Kuala Lumpur International Marathon (KLIM) 05 Part 1 - A Tourist in KL

Food, Glorious Food Posted by Hello I checked-in to a tiny hotel in Petaling Street the day before the marathon. I was trying something different this year to escape the hassle of commuting from PJ and to add an extra hour of dreamtime before the run. It was about 3pm when I played tourist in KL. Explored the Petaling Street and its vicinity. My senses were overwhelmed. The smell of roasted chestnuts and barbequed pork invaded my nose. My sight was bombarded with shiny glares from cheap “genuine fake” Rolexes and the colourful “authentic copy designer” bags. My ears were assaulted by the aggressive peddlers’ sales pitches and blaring music from the textile shops. Great touristy moment for me. Escaped the heat temporarily when having an espresso Frappacino at Kota Raya Starbuck. Wonderful! Bought 6 pirated CDs for RM20 from the street peddler. Mostly rare remixes and songs not released here yet. Went to UDA Ocean to buy some bananas – the official marathoner fruit. Got back to the hotel and napped around 5pm. Discovered a King’s Café next to Swiss In Hotel while looking for a place for dinner. They serve local and western fares. Great ambiance. Clean. Affordable. Attentive waiters. Check this place out. What is a marathon without the pasta party? I ordered white sauce roasted chicken and mushroom fettuccini. The soft drink came free with the meal. Wonderful! Spent the night watching TV and did some reading in air-conditioned comfort.

No comments: