Sunday, August 17, 2008

Run wit Abdullah Badawi? NOT!

What? Larian Perpaduan Merdeka 2008 (Independence Unity Run)

Where? Dataran Merdeka, Kuala Lumpur.

When? Sunday. 17 August 2008. 7:30am.

How Long? 10km

Who? Organised by Unity Committee of the Merdeka Celebration

Kevin gave me a wake up call at 5:00am. Thank you. Still very sleepy because I got home quite late yesterday after watching the Malaysia International Firework Competition at Putrajaya.

I was very excited because I would be wearing my Nike Lunar Trainer for the first time. The preview last week didn’t count, as I didn’t exactly run in them in a road race. I was quite careful with each step, so that I don’t soil my new shoes. They are so white! So pure! So beautiful! I thought of putting them into a glass display box and admire from outside. But then again what goods are running shoes if you don’t wear them for a run, right? Heheh!

The Starting Line.

The arrival of our Prime Minister – Abdullah Badawi. I'm glad that he came on time. :) The "photojournalist" in me naturally tried to get a closer glimpse of our PM.

He went round shaking hands with the runners at the front of the waiting pen.

Ick! I was quite distressed when some dude stepped on my brand new shoe! Aghhh... Luckily the damage was not that visible - just some soil which I quickly rub away. Sigh! This was tough! Shuffling around with a bunch of ruthless photographers for a pic of the prime minister and at the same time trying not to get my shoes stepped on.

OK...I managed to shake his hand here. Ick!

Our PM pretending to be interested in the brochure.

Joining our PM at the podium were his wife – Jeanne Abdullah, Dr. Ng Yen Yen etc etc.

My white as snow Nike Lunar Trainers. (Insert adoring uhhhh ahhhhh sounds here! LOL!)

He got a pair of scissors and he was not afraid to use them.....

He was there to release the balloon. Thank God no lengthy speeches. Everything went quite smoothly.

After the balloon was released, kabooom! All 10K runners were set off with a bang. No, our PM did not run with us.....That would be a security and paramedic nightmare.

I ran very carefully near the water station. Some idiot almost splashed water on my Lunar Trainers. He threw a half drink cup of water on the road. Luckily I reacted fast to avoid the spill.

Running in the Lunar Trainer was remarkably comfy. No, I didn't experience zero gravity and float on air! But they really feel light yet stable.

The 10K route is a familiar one. Traffic control was excellent. There were two water station instead of the usual one. I guess the goverment had really splashed money into this run.

The Parliament. Notice that it is decorated with our National Flag - the Jalur Gemilang for our Merdeka celebration this 31 Aug 2008.

Different view of the Parliament.

One more KM to the finish line....The sun was in my eyes.

Walking with Jalur Gemilang. They should run so that the flag will fly. :)

Swaggering towards the finish line.

It was an enjoyable run. I love my new Nike Lunar Trainers. No blisters - good sign. Feet feel good even though tired. I can't wait to take them for The Men's Health Run next weekend. I don't have much time left to train for the Nike Human Race in Singapore end of this month. So, I have to make full use of the weekend road races like this.

What's in the Goodies Bag?

1 x Certificate of Participation placed in a clear folder (not the usual plastic bag)

1 x Fruit cake

1 x Colgate tooth paste

1 x VeGood Carrot Juice

1 x Lipton Red Tea

1 x Cactus Mineral Water

1 x Munchy’s Mini Crackers

1 x Deep Heating Ointment (Sachet)

1 x Red apple

1 x Ayam Brand Mackerel Steak

1 x keychain with light

1 x London roll cake

1 x Malaysia Flag

No comments: