Friday, June 22, 2018

How to fix running app GPS recording issues on Huawei phones



I am recently a proud owner of Huawei Mate 10 Pro. I am loving the phone but there was one thing that almost drove me insane after taking it out for a run. My first run with my Mate 10.



Out of the box, I just can't seem to get the Nike+ Run Club app to keep running (very punny, right?) in the background. Nike+ recording stops right when the screen turns off, rendering it useless. No map was rendered for my run.




Then, I tried to change the setting of the battery app and gave permission for Auto-launch, Secondary Launch, and Run in background.

Settings> Battery> Launch> Manage Manually



I also went into app settings and assigned ignore battery optimisation.

Settings> Apps & notification> Apps> Settings> Special Access> Ignore Battery Optimisation



It still didn't work properly. The Nike+ app only recorded the points where I turned on the screen to check the distance. Therefore, my run was tracked in straight lines! But, well at least, I got a map....albeit the pace was totally out. Pace 17? I must be slower than a snail. LOL!



Then, my friend, Chief Chapree @ Low Yat with some help from Terry @ Huawei (Thanks guys!!) threw me a lifeline. They pointed out that my phone's firmware was the old version and I should get it update. After updating the firmware from version 119 to 138....



Viola...My Nike+ Run Club works fine! (Insert happy tears here)



So, I learned a couple of things about my new Huawei Mate 10 Pro phone.

In order to preserve battery life, the battery saving settings on Huawei phones can force quit the GPS at any time, which means that the running apps like Nike+ cannot continue to record your activity. There is a reason why the battery is so good. The phone is basically shutting down when idle.

Try these tips when recording with a Huawei phone:

1) Make sure your firmware is the latest.
2) In the battery settings, give permission for Auto-launch, Secondary Launch, and Run in background.
3) In the application settings, assigned ignore battery optimisation for the running app.

Now that everything is sorted, let go for a run. :)

No comments: