MALAYSIANS WALK WITH NESTLÉ
PETALING JAYA (October 10, 2012) – It’s always easy to talk about what we should do for our personal wellness and how we should exercise to stay healthy. However, for many people it’s easier to talk about it than walk the talk.
Poor lifestyle habits such as an unhealthy diet and physical inactivity have been listed in the recent National Health and Morbidity Survey as key contributing factors to the poor health and weight problems prevalent amongst Malaysians today. According to the survey, one out of two Malaysians is either overweight or obese where only 43.7% engage in some form of physical activity. Despite being aware of the need to lead a healthy lifestyle, many people end up procrastinating doing exercise.
Nestlé recognises that regular exercise is a way to keep healthy and that something as simple and stress-free as walking has many benefits. In an effort to encourage Malaysians to walk for wellness, the company launched World Walking Day on November 21, 2010, as a fun and easy way for Malaysians to explore the joy of walking.
Since 2011, Nestlé has been organising numerous Nestlé Walking Day events in various communities throughout the country throughout the year, which culminate in World Walking Day.
A total of 55 Nestlé Walking Day events have been organised to date in 2012, with over 5,000 Malaysians walking with Nestlé. This number is set to increase as more Nestlé Walking Day events will be held in the run up to this year’s World Walking Day on October 28, 2012.
World Walking Day 2012 will be held simultaneously, from 6am to 10am, at the following six (6) locations:
• Putrajaya : Istana Kehakiman, Persiaran Perdana, Presint 3“Walking reduces many health risks, helps to prevent weight gain, improves our mood and relieves stress. World Walking Day offers a stress-free and non-competitive environment for Malaysians to exercise together while walking half of the 10,000 steps per day or 3.7km which is recommended by the Ministry of Health,” said Peter R. Vogt, Managing Director of Nestlé (Malaysia) Berhad.
• Perak : Polo Ground, Ipoh
• Pahang : Taman Gelora, Kuantan
• Johor Bahru : Taman Tasik Merdeka, Jalan Kolam Ayer
• Sabah : Dewan Tun Hamdan, Pekan Tamparuli
• Sarawak : Waterfront, Kuching
World Walking Day is open to the public and those participating in the event will also receive nutritious breakfast, courtesy of Nestlé, and a chance to win prizes in a lucky draw. Registration for Nestlé World Walking Day is free and will run from now until October 22, 2012.
For more information on World Walking Day and to register for the event, visit www.nestle.com.my/WWD.
Source: Press Release Issued by Xcess Communication on behalf of NESTLÉ PRODUCTS SDN BHD.