Monday, June 28, 2010

Exclusive: Interview With Mohan who finishes his 97th Marathon @ Standard Chartered KL Marathon 2010

I did my first interview feature for this blog with AirAsia X CEO, En Azran Osman Rani after the Energizer Night Marathon last March. Read about the interview HERE.

As a follow up, I have found another victim interesting runner to share his passion about marathon running with us.

Meet Mohan, a Kenyaporean runner.

Hahah! We dubbed him the Kenyaporean because of his "omnipresence" in local marathons and abroad. He is actually a Singaporean but called Malaysia his second home. You would probably seen or most likely heard him during your marathon. He carries a horn/ whistle to wake up encourage unsuspecting runners on the marathon route!

He had just completed his 97th marathon at the Standard Chartered KL Marathon 2010 and well on his way to achieve his dream of completing his 100th marathon before he turns 50 in October.

Check out his marathon (42km and beyond) finisher medals collection....

Here's the interview.

1) What you do you professionally?

A "part time" dealer at a local stockbroking company and "full time" marathoner....hahaha... just kidding..... the other way around!

2) Do you still remember your first marathon? Tell us briefly what you remember.

Certainly I do.... In fact I can even recall my first two attempts in 1993 & 1994 - then it was the Singapore Mobil Marathon and the Singapore International Marathon respectively...- when I only managed to run about 18 km and 22km.

It was my third attempt in 1995 at the Singapore Mobil Marathon in Singapore when I completed the full marathon distance.... The feeling was fantastic... "runner's high" I suppose.

In spite of limping and suffering from severe chaffing for the next few days, I called the organisers, SAAA ( our equivalent to your FTAAA ) and suggested that they should organise marathons more frequently. The somewhat negative answer which I received was: " Your body cannot take more than 2 marathons a year."

China Coast Marathon 2010

3) Where do you keep your medals?

I used to keep them in a plastic folder.... until there were too many - so the easiest way - just chuck them in a drawer...haha... I am a lazy fellow!

4) What are your favourite running songs?

Songs??? What songs..... ??? I make noise along the way. I wake people up with my whistle or horn along the way. I have proven science wrong.... 'Before you see me, you will hear me first - ie sound travels faster than light'.

Well, on a more serious note, I have never ever run with a walk man or MP3 - I would rather listen to the environment rather than be in my own world.

5) Why do you run?

In 1988, at the age of 28, I was sufferring from palpitation, chest pain and high blood pressure. My resting pulse could hit 110 -120 and you know what that means....

I used to smoke and drink.... well, life cannot go on like that. You know, in Singapore cigarettes and medical fees are very expensive !..haha! I had to change my lifestyle and what better way than to run.

Dubai Marathon 2010

6) What are your pre-race/ post race rituals?

Pre-race: depending on where I am running, I load up on my salts accordingly

Post-race: makan anything "pedas" (Spicy/ Hot)

7) When did you start running?

In 1993 at the age of 33.

8) Who is your running hero?

Hero - none,

Heros - all who participate in marathons!

Prague Marathon 2010

9) What are the must have items that you carry during your marathon?

Either my whistle or horn - depending oin where I am running. I dont usually check-in a luggage when I fly, and carrying the horn may pose a problem at the airport security....

10) Where is favourite place to run?

Favourite place to run - frankly, KL... not so much for the physical environment, but rather other runners are very warm and responsive, unlike Singapore.

Favourite place to race - China and Australia.

Taipei Freeway

11) Have you ever DNF? Where? What happened?

DNF?? Oh yes. At last year's NorthFace100 in Singapore, I started the race ok, but as the race progessed, I felt a little uncomfortable and actually slept on the course at two different places. It was about the 27k point when this 4 x 4 drive Volvo came around and asked if I wanted to go for a "test-drive" back to the start....

Sigh.... I blame it on Volvo..haha!

But on a more serious note, the drive back gave me some much needed private moments to ponder and reflect on the race. Initially, I was very sad, but, I picked myself up and accepted 'reality' and I was back at the finish line cheering on the race finishers cross the line....

I have some " unfinished business " to settle at this year's NF100.

Tokyo 2010

12) What is your PR?

My PB was 3h59m which i did in 1997. ... its "historical"...

13) What is your running motto/ slogan?

"Encourage .... and be encouraged", always help a fellow runner.

14) What is your advice to beginners in running?

Don't run by yourself, run with someone, someone who will engage you throughout the run and make it an enjoyable one.... First experience is very important.

Xiamen 2010

15) What are the proudest moments in your running experience?

Possibly the proudest moment was when I paced my diabetic running buddy the full distance of the 2009 Std Chartered Singapore Marathon. It was the proudest moment for me because it was my friend's first marathon, and the race has changed his life so much.

Since his first marathon, my friend has since paced two 'marathon virgins' in the first marathon during the Sundown Marathon 2010 in Singapore.

16) What are the funniest things that ever happened to you in your marathons?

Ha.... just happened last Sunday at the Dili Marathon (Timur-Laste). Dili had their first marathon on 20 june 2010. The people (spectators) did not know what a marathon was, and were rather shy and quiet.... And there was me, this noisy runner from Singapore, whistling and making noise and wishing the people "bon-dia"...."bon-dia"....( greeting for 'good morning' ).

Suddenly, the Timurese guy wished me: "Bon-dia Mister Bean"...! (Insert ROTFLOL here!)

Xiamen 2010

17) How much do you roughly spend per year for your running trips? This one is a frequently asked queston...People are curious. But it's up to you if you wanna answer or not. :)

Too much, but the feeling after finishing the race has always been fantastic. I had set a goal to do a hundred, and I am glad that I am almost there.

18) What's after the 100th medal?

Possibly back to basics... No need to participate in competitive races, but can still do the distance - just me, my camelbac and my garmin.

Kuala Lumpur 2010

19) How did you do in the Standard Chartered KL Marathon?

I did the race in 5h34m. Had the pleasure of running with and pacing some newbie runners.

20) What do you like about the Standard Chartered KL Marathon?

I enjoyed myself very much at and during the SCKLM. KL has always been a place to meet old friends and to make new ones. Malaysian runners are amongst my best friends and it has always been a pleasure to run with them.

21) What needs to be improved in the Standard Chartered KL Marathon?

On a positive note, there has been a great improvement compared to last year's - well done organisers! There has been more cheer groups along the way, the route is pretty good.

Perhaps looking forward, there must be cold drinks at the end. During yesterday's race, there were no drinks left for the runners who came in after about 5h30m. The slow runners are probably the one who need the drinks the most .....

Acknowledgement: Thank you to Mohan for sharing his passion for marathon with us. Photos courtesy of Mohan except the last one where I purposely waited for him to take his finishing photos...

We would like to wish him all the best for his remaining 3 marathons to achieve his 100th Marathon - 04/07/10 Gold Coast, Australia, 20/07/10 Pattaya, Thailand and 29/08/10 Perth, Australia.

We hope you enjoy reading this post and get inspired by this marathon maniac. He is very funny as well. Not Mr. Bean funny but close. LOL!

Comments are always welcome. Please throw me some ideas who do you like me to interview next. :)

11 comments:

plee said...

Thanx PT( and Mohan)! This is priceless...All the best to Mohan on his quest for the awesome Century Marathon!

KA said...

aahaha he's an interesting character. recorded he was whistling at jalan cheras on my uploaded vid.

do thank him for bringing the running event a more lively atmosphere.

The Scientist Runner said...

interesting indeed! hoping to wear that Marathon Maniac singlet in a couple of months as well...

The Scientist Runner said...

interesting indeed! hoping to wear that Marathon Maniac singlet in a couple of months as well...

aud said...

I first recognised him from Borneo this year, and saw him again yesterday. What an inspiring story! Thanks for sharing :)

Maybe for next interview can be with a female runner?

Jamie said...

wonderful interview and photos! 2 thumbs up!

IJAM said...

inspired by mr mohan..
where can i see the photos of your collections?

慧沁 Wai Sum said...

he is the best cheering team! Met him during SCKLM last Sunday! It is nice to have him as a pacer! sure you won't fall asleep.

dannie chOOng said...

wow !!! didn't know u have an exclusive interview with him. i first meet him during Energizer Night Run, when ask him why his horn no sound liow, he smile and say, "horn got sore throat lah" !!!
i got to know him better during Phuket marathon and it is becoz of him started to carry Malaysian flag whenever i go for oversea run just to match his S'pore flag !!! hehehe... he's really a funny and humble guy.
hey Mohan, if you are reading this - all the best towards your 100th marathon, especially TNF100 !!! hope to see u again soon with our country flag fly high !!! :))

Carrie said...

Pueh Tian, next round interview Mr.Terence Poon, the Malaysian (Kenyasian).....

Tiffany said...

every marathon should have a Mohan :)i feel so lucky to met him on my first marathon this morning