Thursday, March 11, 2004

Alive and Kicking

I was pleasantly surprised when a blonde, fit instructor took over the kickboxing class yesterday evening. Sylvia from Germany she introduced herself. Trained under Billy Blanks – A Hollywood Fitness Guru known for his trademarked Tae Bo. I got a few fitness VCDs of his, gathering dust on my shelf. Sylvia was one energetic mama. Her class was ass-kicking fast, sprinkled with some nifty punching and kicking moves. Great throbbing club music too. Felt like sweating it up in da club. She was an instant hit among us. One of the fun yet intense exercises so far. I had to mop the floor due to puddle of sweat during the second half of the session. Achtung!! Been doing kickboxing every Wednesday evening for the past 2 years now. When I first started, C (a short but muscular guy) was teaching. He was a good instructor. Very systematic and balanced in term working out the arms (punch, hook and uppercut) and legs (kick). Class was very intense. I normally skipped any training on the treadmill or bicycle to avoid being burned out by second half of his class. One downer was his music – same tracks week after week. Sweat factor = 9. K took over from C when C left for China. I love the way K trained too. Like C, his class was fast-paced and intense. His floor session was brutal. How those ladies can follow him is absolutely unbelievable. Sweat factor: 8 K has been missing in action since last month. A took over. Jack of all trade. He also does Step class. His class was less intense and not adventurous in teaching new moves. Quite boring actually. But I still continue by putting on gloves with weight and ankle weights to intensify the session. Sometimes, the steps were out of beat. Not much attention was paid to the music. He just played whatever available in the CD changer. Sweat Factor: 5 Sylvia. New Instructor. Sweat factor=9.5. I hope I will see her again next week. Achtung!!