Thursday, December 27, 2018

Yay! The Jogging Track @ Serambi Pekan is Finally Completed



I was quite excited about this project when I first learnt about it a couple of years ago. Every time I went back to my hometown, I would check on the progress of the work and run on the completed parts of the track, km by km with sheer anticipation. Finally, the project was completed this year. I'm not sure about the exact date but it must have been after the Pilihanraya in May. Some parts of it were still under construction at the I went back to Pekan to vote.

I love running in Pekan, on the kampung roads and serene villages. However, I have to be on high alert because I am sharing the narrow road with other vehicles. The kampung drivers or riders can be a menace at times by giving you a jolt of surprise by appearing suddenly out of nowhere. With the opening of this jogging track, I can be free of the fear of getting run over by a motorbike or car. And I can enjoy my music freely during my run.

For recreational use only. The track is open only for runners, joggers or walkers only. No vehicles allowed.

The track begins at the Pekan side of the Sultan Abu Bakar Bridge, the opposite end from where the Ancasa Royale Hotel is located. 

The Abu Bakar Bridge (Malay: Jambatan Abu Bakar) is the main bridge on Pahang River, located at Jalan Kuantan-Pekan. The length is about 600m.

There are signages like this every 200m or so, showing you the number of calories you burnt so far in the run.

The track is about 4km long, built along the Pahang Riverside. It is protected from the outside world by the metal barricade that runs the full length of the track.  

A sight like this is not uncommon. Pretty, isn't it? But where there are cows, there will be cow dung. Sometimes the stench will hit you but don't worry, there is no cow dung on the track because of the barricades I mentioned earlier.   

What? Only 60 kcal? It is only equivalent to a cup of tea. 

Around km-2, you would reach the Pekan Riverfront. Here you can go out from the track and explore Pekan Town. There are some food stalls nearby. I would recommend the cendol by the Pekan Riverfront.

A picturesque scene from the jogging track

Take your time to soak in the sun and enjoy the breeze. 

At around km-3, you would reach a building called the Serambi Pekan that houses a KFC Restaurant, some food and souvenir stalls. There are clean toilets here.

I have seen monitor lizards (biawak), not to be mistaken with a crocodile swimming in the river. Birds and butterflies are aplenty too. 

As you can see from the beginning, the track is devoid of shades. So, you are pretty exposed to the sun. Do slather some sun protection lotion and put on a cap.

Reaching the end of the jogging track. 4000m and equivalent to two (2) curry puffs burned!  

The track ends nearby the Masjid An-Nur Ketapang Hilir. Ironically, there is a Muslim cemetery right at the end. It sort of reminds me that every living thing will end with death.  Pretty morbid, eh? But hey, you still have to turn back to the start point where you park your car.  Heheh! So, all together you can get 8km run, to and fro on this track.    

If you ever come to the Royal town of Pahang, Pekan, do bring your running shoes. I hope this guide is useful for you to enjoy your run in Pekan along the longest river in the Peninsula Malaysia, the Pahang River.

No comments: